Day 8 - subtitled "A Grand Entrance at Slough Creek"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Yellowstone Trip Reports Page ] [ FAQ ]

    Posted by Bison and JJ ( on July 11, 2005 at 21:38:12:

    In Reply to: End of Day 7 subtitled "I'm SO into this" posted by Bison and JJ on July 11, 2005 at 21:34:19:

    Friday June 17, 2005 In the morning we again scoped the area around the confluence, but besides one small herd of Bison, we were unable to see any animals. We decided to check out Slough Creek and see if there were any wolf pups around.

    It was already 9:30am when we pulled down the dirt road leading to the Slough Creek campground. There were approximately a dozen cars and trucks parked along the road. As luck would have it, there was an open parking spot on the left side of the road right behind a pickup truck with a camper on it. Cool! I zipped into that spot making sure to pull off the road so that I didn’t impede traffic. Bang! Crunch! What the heck was that? Suddenly the car would not move forward. Hmmm. I put it in reverse, the car remained in the same spot. Uh-oh. I got out of the car and peered underneath. There was a large rock in the grass that I hadn’t seen and I had driven the car up on to it. Both front tires were in the air, dangling inches from the ground. Of course all the wolf watchers in the area, and there were a fair amount of them, were now taking an interest in what we were up to. JJ got behind the wheel and put the car in reverse. I stood in front of the car with my back to the bumper. One, Two, Three…Shove! Fortunately I was able to push the car just enough that the tires made contact with the ground and JJ was able to back the car out of this location. Whew! Thank goodness that worked out. I looked under the car and everything seemed okay. The wolf watchers went back to watching wolves and we parked our car in another location that had become available. Of course I wasn’t done. We gathered the spotting scope and binoculars and I hit the button on my key chain to lock the car. Or at least I meant to hit the button to lock the car, instead I hit the horn button. Now the sound of a car horn resonated off all the surrounding hills. I’m sure it was only a couple of seconds, but it seemed like an eternity until I found the right button to turn off the car horn.

    I trudged up a small hill where there was a group of 6 or 7 people with scopes. I was preparing my apology in my head for disrupting the peace when one of the group who is an interpretive ranger laughed and said “You are the third car this morning that got stuck there” He then proceeded to tell us about a truck that was stuck at the same spot that required lots of help to get dislodged. All was well. A kind lady pointed my scope to the various wolf dens but there wasn’t any activity. Within short order most of the watchers left and after approximately a ½ hour JJ and I did too,.

    We headed to Bunsen Peak. Neither of us had ever hiked to the top before and we were going to change that situation today. I’m not sure what type of animal leaves a rock footprint, but the picture was taken on the trail leading up Bunsen Peak.

    Follow Ups:

    Post a Followup




    Optional Link URL:
    Link Title:
    Optional Image URL:

    Please enter the following value as your Submit Key:

    Submit Key:

    Note: The Submit Key is Case Sensitive. Do not Copy and Paste!

    [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Yellowstone Trip Reports Page ] [ FAQ ]